- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon brandy, optional
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg yolks, sugar, water, butter, lemon peel, vanilla and brandy if desired; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Brunch Beignets in Simple & Delicious February/March 2011, p14
Reviews for Brunch Beignets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 15, 2012
"Very good. The bit of lemon zest did the trick. They taste so good."
Reviewed Feb. 6, 2011
"Super simple and they were so delicious! My grandson said that they reminded him of funnel cakes."