Brunch Beignets Recipe
Enjoy breakfast the New Orleans way with these warm, crispy bites. Topped with powdered sugar, they are a delight! —Lois Rutherford, Elkton, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:24 servings
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon brandy, optional
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg yolks, sugar, water, butter, lemon peel, vanilla and brandy if desired; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 beignet equals 52 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC