This mix I make instead of using the store-bought mixes. This one has so much flavor and is so easy to make.—Patricia D Kile, Greentown, Pennsylvania
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) baking cocoa
- 2 cups shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2-1/2 cups Brownie Mix
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Store in a large airtight container in cupboard. Keeps 10-12 weeks. Yield: about 17 cups of mix.
- To prepare brownies: In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Beat with spoon until smooth. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until top tests done. Cut into squares while still warm. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 9 brownies.
Originally published as Brownie Mix in Country Woman January/February 1994, p38
Reviews for Brownie Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review