"My grandmother discovered this recipe over 50 years ago," says Teresa Jarnot of Monroe, Washington. "When I began baking for weekly church dinners, my mother shared it." Stir up a big batch and you'll have more than enough for the chocolaty sweets that follow.
108 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 8 cups sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups baking cocoa
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and
- salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6
- Brownie Mix may be used to prepare the following recipes (also found
- in Recipe Finder): Fudge Sauce, Walnut Brownies, Brownie Crinkles
- and Brownie Snack Cake. Yield: 18 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 112 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.