You don’t have to worry about getting this spooky showstopper to stand upright. These fudgy brownies are the perfect canvas for creating a silly haunted house. Trick-or-treaters beware! —Sarah Thompson, Greenfield, Wisconsin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules, optional
- 1-3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla frosting
- Chocolate frosting
- Paste food coloring
- Assorted sprinkles
- Assorted candies
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugars, butter, water and, if desired, coffee granules; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs until foamy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla; gradually whisk in chocolate mixture. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; stir into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake on a lower oven rack until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake), 30-40 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Lifting with foil, remove brownies from pan; let cool completely. Discard foil. Cut off corners of brownie to resemble a house. If desired, cut scraps into pumpkins and ghosts using cookie cutters. Tint frosting as desired with paste food coloring. Decorate brownie house with frosting and candies. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Spooky Brownie House in Ultimate Halloween 2016, p54
Reviews for Brownie Haunted House
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 16, 2016
"I made this with my kids this morning. We LOVED it! The brownies are the perfect texture. They are dense and fudgy, and they are soooo chocolaty. We're bringing to a gathering tonight and I'm sure it will be a huge hit with everyone!"