Brownie Chunk Ice Cream Recipe
“Each time I make brownies, half the batch goes to friends and the rest ends up in this ice cream," says Agnes. "For crunch, I sometimes add a half-cup of chopped nuts.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Processing: 20 min./batch + freezing YIELD:13 servings
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 package fudge brownie mix (8-inch square pan size)
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat cream to 175°; stir in 1/2 cup sugar until dissolved. In a bowl, combine cocoa and remaining sugar; whisk in egg yolks until smooth. Whisk in a small amount of hot cream mixture. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate until melted. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; let stand for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3. Transfer to a bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 4. Prepare and bake brownies according to package directions. Cool on a wire rack; cut into 1/2-in. cubes.
- 5. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full with custard; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Stir in half of the brownie cubes. Refrigerate remaining custard until ready to freeze. Add remaining brownies. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: about 1-1/2 quarts.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC