Brownie Baked Alaska Recipe
Kids of all ages are impressed when I slice into this sweet treat. No one can resist the combination of brownies and two kinds of ice cream with a light meringue topping. This cool and chocolaty dessert looks like I fussed, when really, it's pretty easy to put together.—Spy Hill Public Library, Carol Twardzik, Spy Hill, Saskatchewan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. + freezing Bake: 5 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 quart strawberry ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 5 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts if desired.
- 2. Spread into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, line an 8-in. or 9-in. round bowl (1-1/2-qts.) with foil. Quickly spread strawberry ice cream over bottom and up sides of bowl, leaving center hollow; cover and freeze for 30 minutes. Pack vanilla ice cream into center; cover and freeze.
- 4. To assemble, place the brownie base on a 10-in. ovenproof serving plate. Unmold ice cream onto brownie. Return to freezer while preparing meringue.
- 5. In a heavy saucepan or double boiler over simmering water, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. Heat over low heat while beating egg white mixture with a portable mixer on low speed for 1 minute, scraping down sides of bowl. Continue beating until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- 6. Quickly spread over ice cream and brownie. Bake at 500° for 2-5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. (Or return to freezer until ready to bake.) Transfer to a serving plate; serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving equals 427 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC