Browned-Butter Sandwich Spritz
A heavenly sweet maple filling makes these scrumptious spritz cookies a little different. You can count on them to come out buttery and tender. They're almost too pretty to eat.— Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
36 ServingsPrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- In a small heavy saucepan, cook and stir butter over medium heat for
- 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl;
- refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons browned butter for filling. In a large bowl,
- beat 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and remaining browned butter until
- smooth. Beat in the egg, yolk and vanilla. Combine flour and salt;
- gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough
- 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at
- 375° for 8-9 minutes or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire
- racks to cool.
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring syrup to a boil. Cool slightly.
- Whisk in remaining confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat reserved
- browned butter until light and fluffy. Beat in syrup mixture until