Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes Recipe
This easy apple and sweet potato bake, drizzled with a brown sugar and cinnamon sauce, is a natural for holiday meals. " I like to serve this autumn side dish with ham," writes Heidi Grant of Orangeville, Ontario. "If you wish, you can substitute two 18-ounce cans of sweet potatoes, drained."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-20 minutes or just until tender. Drain; cool slightly and peel. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, apple juice, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray, alternately layer sweet potato and apple slices in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with brown sugar mixture.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until apples are tender, basting occasionally with pan juices. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (2/3 cup) equals 178 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC