This foolproof winner is easy to prepare and makes a beautiful alternative to traditional sweet potatoes. To save time, make it ahead, allow it to cool, and refrigerate up to two days. On feast day, put it in the slow cooker set to low about two hours before serving, and reheat while the turkey roasts. Add a bit of apple cider or water if needed. —Judy Batson, Tampa, Florida
Recommended: 43 Amazing Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Peel and cut potatoes lengthwise in half; cut crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place potatoes and apples in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small saucepan, mix butter, brown sugar and pie spice. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until blended, 1-2 minutes. Pour over potato mixture. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
- With a slotted spoon, remove potatoes and apples to a bowl, reserving cooking liquid. Mash potato mixture, gradually adding enough reserved cooking liquid, if necessary, to reach desired consistency. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
Originally published as Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes with Apples in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p30
Reviews for Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes with Apples
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review