This easy apple and sweet potato bake, drizzled with a brown sugar and cinnamon sauce, is a natural for holiday meals. " I like to serve this autumn side dish with ham," writes Heidi Grant of Orangeville, Ontario. "If you wish, you can substitute two 18-ounce cans of sweet potatoes, drained."
Recommended: 43 Amazing Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-20 minutes or just until tender. Drain; cool slightly and peel. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, apple juice, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray, alternately layer sweet potato and apple slices in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with brown sugar mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until apples are tender, basting occasionally with pan juices. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Candied Sweet Potatoes in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p42
Reviews for Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 25, 2011
"Too dry, so I doubled the sauce ingredients and put it back in the oven. I also kept it covered with foil. Then it came out much better. Everybody at Easter loved them!!"
Reviewed Apr. 5, 2010
"I made this recipe for Easter dinner, my family loved it!"