Brown Sugar Rhubarb Muffins Recipe
“I make these muffins often during rhubarb season. Guests at our inn love them,” says Florence Conklin, Cottonwood, Idaho. “For some crunch, I add our own state-grown black walnuts.”
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 20 muffins.
1 serving (1 each) equals 268 calories, 12 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC