Brown Sugar Pecan Candies
These sweet candies are similar to those served at Mexican restaurants in our area. The recipe comes from a cookbook put together by the staff of the school where I teach. —Barbara Windham, Houston, Texas
60 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 4 large marshmallows, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugars, milk and corn syrup.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until a candy
- thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in marshmallows and butter until smooth.
- Add pecans and vanilla; stir only until mixture begins to thicken.
- Quickly drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Cool until set.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Yield: 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 64 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.