- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Peanut butter and honey, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Mix first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Add to oat mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-17 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing muffins to a wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, spread with peanut butter and honey. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Brown Sugar Oat Muffins
"First off, thank you for this recipe. I really do like it.Good muffin. Not to sweet, which is great. Seemed a tad dry on the first batch (That is why only 4 stars), but the 2nd time around, I added 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, cut the amount of oil in half, added 1/4 cup ground flax, cut the sugar down to 1/2 cup (Used white, was out of brown both times), doubled the vanilla. Also used unsweetened almond milk. Both times added 1/2 cup of raisins. If I had made these exact changes the 1st time I made them, I would have given 5 stars. Next time, Im thinking adding some lemon juice and poppy seeds. So many possibility with this recipe."
"Great muffin. Hardy texture. I added pumpkin pie spice. Perfect without butter, jam or anything."
"Good muffin that is not too sweet."
"I was looking for a base recipe for oatmeal muffins and this one is perfect! I added in 1-1/2 cups of chopped apples that were mixed with cinnamon and sugar. I also added a streusel to the top, made of flour, brown sugar and butter. The muffins baked up perfectly, they're soft, and taste wonderful. Great recipe!"
"Make these often for my family. Men tend to like the heartiness of these muffins, I've found."
"These muffins are nice to serve with jam as a breakfast treat. They also make a nice after school snack. They freeze well too."
"Delicious! Perfect breakfast muffins."
"Great mild oat muffin! I don't feel like I'm serving cupcakes for breakfast! : ) Entire family loves them warm out of the oven and we even renamed these- "Mommy's Good Morning Muffins""
"I also forgot to add to my last review that I also substituted organic coconut oil (melted) instead of the canola oil.. and they were very light and much healthier for my family. :)"