Brown Sugar Icebox Cookies
My daughters and I have been "fair-ly" successful competitors at county fairs and bake-offs for more than 20 years. This is one of the those winning recipes.—Eilene Bogar, Minier, Illinois
21 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla;
- mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to
- cream mixture. Fold in pecans or coconut (dough will be sticky).
- Shape into two rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4
- hours or overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased
- baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7 to 10 minutes or until set.
- Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 146 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 109 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.