Brown Sugar Icebox Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or flaked coconut
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to cream mixture. Fold in pecans or coconut (dough will be sticky). Shape into two rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 2. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 146 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Brown Sugar Icebox Cookies
"This is a nice cookie to have on hand in the refrigerator for when company comes or you need a batch of cookies for school lunches. I also like to keep logs of the unbaked cookie dough in the freezer, to take out and thaw and use as needed. My grandmother used to make a similar cookie, and I have found this recipe to be very close to what she made. It isn't super-fancy or over-the-top, but it's a nice and flavorful cookie to have on hand."
"Absolutely wonderful. Just like my Mother used to make when I was a child 70+ years ago. For a change I used a thin powdered sugar glaze over the top and sprinkled with "raw" sugar for a Christmas look. YUMMMMMM"