My daughters and I have been "fair-ly" successful competitors at county fairs and bake-offs for more than 20 years. This is one of the those winning recipes.—Eilene Bogar, Minier, Illinois
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to cream mixture. Fold in pecans or coconut (dough will be sticky). Shape into two rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7 to 10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Brown Sugar Icebox Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 1995, p17
Reviews for Brown Sugar Icebox Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review