Brown Sugar-Glazed Meatballs Recipe
I modeled these sweet-spicy pork-and-shrimp meatballs after the filling in Asian wontons. They're a family favorite, whether I serve them alone as an appetizer or over hot cooked rice as a main dish. —Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
- 3/4 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 4 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Add pork; mix lightly but thoroughly. With wet hands, shape mixture into 1-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake 14-17 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, mix glaze ingredients. Add meatballs; cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until meatballs are glazed and heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
1 meatball equals 59 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 112 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC