Brown Sugar Date Squares Recipe
"I've used this recipe for years," shares Suzanne Caithamer of Walton, Kentucky. "It's a wonderful addition to care packages and holiday cookie exchanges. Even people who don't like dates love them!" You can cut larger squares and add a scoop of ice cream to serve as a dessert.
- 1 pound pitted whole dates
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the dates, brown sugar and orange juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until thickened and dates are tender, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Carefully spread with date mixture.
- 3. Stir walnuts into remaining crumb mixture. Sprinkle over filling; press down gently. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve with ice cream if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 251 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC