"I've used this recipe for years," shares Suzanne Caithamer of Walton, Kentucky. "It's a wonderful addition to care packages and holiday cookie exchanges. Even people who don't like dates love them!" You can cut larger squares and add a scoop of ice cream to serve as a dessert.
- 1 pound pitted whole dates
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the dates, brown sugar and orange juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until thickened and dates are tender, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Carefully spread with date mixture.
- Stir walnuts into remaining crumb mixture. Sprinkle over filling; press down gently. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve with ice cream if desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Brown Sugar Date Squares in Taste of Home
Reviews for Brown Sugar Date Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review