Brown Sugar Cutouts Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Green food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and lemon peel. Combine the flour, baking soda and ginger; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough cream to achieve spreading consistency. Add food coloring if desired to some or all of the frosting. Decorate cookies. Yield: About 6 dozen.
2 each: 156 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (17g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Brown Sugar Cutouts
"Dough is much too gooey to roll out. It's sticking to the rolling surface, the rolling pin, and my hands. I don't even know how to save it."