I bake so many cookies for the holidays that I have one recipe box just for cookies alone! But of all of them, these simple cutouts are among my husband's flavor favorites.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Green food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and lemon peel. Combine the flour, baking soda and ginger; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough cream to achieve spreading consistency. Add food coloring if desired to some or all of the frosting. Decorate cookies. Yield: About 6 dozen.
Originally published as Brown Sugar Cutouts in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p42
Reviews for Brown Sugar Cutouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2010
"Dough is much too gooey to roll out. It's sticking to the rolling surface, the rolling pin, and my hands. I don't even know how to save it."