Brown Sugar Cookies Recipe
I received this recipe some 40 years ago at a shower where the hostess asked each guest to share a favorite recipe. This was the most popular of them all. Dark brown sugar gives these cookies added richness.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground pecans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, pecans, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls; then roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For icing, combine brown sugar and cream in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Sift confectioners' sugar into the hot mixture; stir until combined. Drizzle icing over cookies. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 161 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC