Brown Sugar Baked Beans
If you must be stingy with salt, you're sure to appreciate this flavor-rich bean dish. "These beans are well-received by folks who love hot and spicy foods and those with a more conservative palate, too," writes Debra Hogenson of Brewster, Minnesota. "It's requested for all our family reunions."
8 ServingsPrep: 70 min. + soaking Bake: 25 min.
- 1-2/3 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add
- water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove
- from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven;
- add onion and enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Drain beans and place in an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Stir in the
- salsa, brown sugar and seasonings. Cover and bake at 350° for 25
- minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/2 cup) equals 202 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber,