- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place egg whites in a large bowl, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift 1 cup brown sugar and flour together twice; set aside. Sift remaining sugar; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add vanilla. Gradually add reserved sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition; beat until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, abut 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry.
- Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side of cake and remove to a serving plate. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Brown Sugar Angel Food Cake in Country Woman September/October 2002, p37
Reviews for Brown Sugar Angel Food Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 21, 2017
"This turned out to be pretty good. I was a little leery of the amount of brown sugar but it didn't taste as sweet as I thought it would. Hubby liked it, so it is a keeper."