Brown Sugar & Banana Oatmeal Recipe
Oatmeal is a favorite breakfast food, quick, easy and filling. I came up with this version by using some of the same ingredients from my favorite breakfast smoothie. Add bran cereal for a heartier taste and more fiber. A brown sugar substitute and soy milk also blend in well. —Jessi Rizzi, Odenton, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 15 min. YIELD:3 servings
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 large ripe banana, sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional fat-free milk or ground cinnamon, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil; stir in oats. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in the banana, brown sugar, honey and cinnamon. Divide among three serving bowls. Serve with additional milk and cinnamon if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
1 cup (calculated without additional milk) equals 215 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC