Brown Sugar & Banana Oatmeal
Oatmeal is a favorite breakfast food, quick, easy and filling. I came up with this version by using some of the same ingredients from my favorite breakfast smoothie. Add bran cereal for a heartier taste and more fiber. A brown sugar substitute and soy milk also blend in well. —Jessi Rizzi, Odenton, Maryland
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 large ripe banana, sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional fat-free milk or ground cinnamon, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil; stir in oats. Cook over
- medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring
- Stir in the banana, brown sugar, honey and cinnamon. Divide among
- three serving bowls. Serve with additional milk and cinnamon if
- desired. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without additional milk) equals 215 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.