Plain old pumpkin pie is fine, but for special occasions, I reach for this recipe! A tender homemade crust is topped with a crunchy brown sugar layer and then creamy pumpkin custard.
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- BROWN SUGAR LAYER:
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- CUSTARD LAYER:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/3 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- In a food processor, combine the flour, shortening and salt; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add water and vinegar until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. deep dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a small bowl, combine the almonds, brown sugar, almond paste, ginger, flour, lemon peel and extract; cut in butter until crumbly. Spread over bottom of crust.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, brown sugar and sour cream until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, milk, molasses and pie spice until blended. Add eggs and egg yolk; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour filling over almond layer. Cover edges of pie loosely with foil.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake for 45-55 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Brown Sugar & Almond Pumpkin Custard Pie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p116
Reviews for Brown Sugar & Almond Pumpkin Custard Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review