VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, salt and baking soda. In a small saucepan, heat the water, honey and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in rice and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 30 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Brown Rice Yeast Rolls in Country Extra September 2007, p49