Brown Rice Yeast Rolls Recipe
I’ve had this recipe for such a long time that I don’t remember where it came from. It’s a great way to get your family to eat brown rice, which is so good for you. My family didn’t even know it was there until I told them.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, cornmeal, yeast, salt and baking soda. In a small saucepan, heat the water, honey and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in rice and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 30 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each equals 146 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC