Brown Rice with Lentils Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a 1-1/2 qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes and salt. Cover and bake for 20-30 minutes longer or until rice and lentils are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until cheese melts. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 169 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 427mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch
Reviews for Brown Rice with Lentils
"I'm between a 3-4 star on this recipe. It was quick, super easy--other than the cheese, I had everything in my pantry. It definitely takes the full cooking time for the rice to fully cook and not be crunchy. In fact, you might need to leave it in there a bit longer. I used the chicken broth and white wine option. It was tasty, a tiny bit bland, but still pretty good. I bet it would be better had I used the cheese, so I'll try that next time. I'll definitely make it again, and just tweek it a little to fix the blandness. Maybe some lemon juice?"
"Makes a delicious vegetarian main dish. We generally omit the swiss cheese."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.