Brown Rice with Lentils Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a 1-1/2 qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes and salt. Cover and bake for 20-30 minutes longer or until rice and lentils are tender. Remove and discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until cheese melts. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 169 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 427 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
Reviews for Brown Rice with Lentils
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.