Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole Recipe
One taste of this crowd-pleasing casserole brings compliments and requests for my recipe. It's been in my file for as long as I can remember. The blend of tender vegetables and rice is perfect for holiday meals and dish-to-pass affairs.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups chopped onions, divided
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup salted cashew halves
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a greased 3-qt. baking dish, combine the broth, rice, 1 cup onion, soy sauce, butter and thyme. Cover and bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, garlic and remaining onion in oil until crisp-tender; spoon over rice mixture.
- 3. Cover and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cashews and cheese if desired. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 300 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 703 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC