One taste of this crowd-pleasing casserole brings compliments and requests for my recipe. It's been in my file for as long as I can remember. The blend of tender vegetables and rice is perfect for holiday meals and dish-to-pass affairs.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups chopped onions, divided
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup salted cashew halves
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a greased 3-qt. baking dish, combine the broth, rice, 1 cup onion, soy sauce, butter and thyme. Cover and bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, garlic and remaining onion in oil until crisp-tender; spoon over rice mixture.
- Cover and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cashews and cheese if desired. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole in Country Woman November/December 2003, p33
Reviews for Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review