Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 cups chopped onions, divided
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup salted cashew halves
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a greased 3-qt. baking dish, combine the broth, rice, 1 cup onion, soy sauce, butter and thyme. Cover and bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, garlic and remaining onion in oil until crisp-tender; spoon over rice mixture.
- Cover and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cashews and cheese if desired. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Brown Rice Vegetable Casserole
Sort By :
"I made several changes to this recipe to make it healthier & vegetarian. I used vegetable boullion mixed with water instead of chicken broth, and omitted the butter & cheese. I omitted the cashews because I didn't have any on hand & don't particularly care for them. I only used 1 tbsp EVVO in the rice mixture & 1 tbsp of EVVO to sauté the veggies. I only had 1 red pepper, so I added 6 oz of thinly sliced baby carrots with the veggies. With the changes I made, I used a website to calculate the nutritional value for a total of 6 main dish servings. Each serving contains: 295 calories, 6.7 grams fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 8.4 g protein, & 6 grams of fiber.We found the rice very flavorful, but next time I believe I'll add a little salt, pepper, and thyme to the veggies."
"Made this the other night for roommates and guest and it was gobbled up completely. My main complaint is that by itself it is a bit bland, the soy sauce alone didn't really cut it. I used anchovy fish sauce to give it a bit more savor, but that didn't really cut it either. I also used, instead of chicken stock, beef stock I had made over a period of 2 days using cow heart and variable spices and vegetables. It was a rich stock and I think it made it more exciting.If I were to make it again, I would likely layer a glutamate-rich cheese (a very savory fresh mozzarella, gouda, or sharp cheddar) beneath the layer of vegetables.I would also recommend mixing bits of baked or fried fish in the rice. Just something to kick it into main dish territory."
"The added soy sauce made this recipe very flavorful while the cashews gave it a nice crunch. The blend of rice with veggies was great, though I did have a problem with the rice not cooking properly the first time I made it. I didn't want to give up on the recipe though, so the next time I made it I actually cooked the rice 2/3 of the way (20 minutes) and then prepared the recipe as normal the rest of the way. That did the trick! Thanks for posting this tasty and healthy recipe. It's a keeper for sure!"
"Halved the recipe for just me and my husbandbut I used a frozen vegetable medley I had on hand. Came out just as good. Would make this again for entertaining as well."
"This is fantastic. Made it with ck broth. Family loved it. Could add chicken for a main dish. Barbara"