Brown Rice Stuffed Peppers
"FOR SOME extra flavor, I like to add bouillon to the dish when the pepper are baking. It also steams them a little. If I'm making chicken or turkey with the peppers, I use chicken bouillon; if I'm making beef, then I use beef bouillon."
5-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 5 to 6 medium green peppers
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Remove tops and seeds from peppers. In a large kettle, bring water to
- boil; cook peppers for 5 minutes. Remove and drain. Cook rice
- according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no
- longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, herbs, salt and pepper;
- cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in rice. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon rice mixture into peppers. Place in a shallow ungreased baking
- dish or casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes.
- Yield: 5-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 245 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 424 mg sodium,