- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled sweet apple
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add celery, onion and carrot; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour, curry powder and cayenne until blended; cook and stir 5 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add chicken, spinach, apple, salt, pepper and thyme; cook, uncovered, 3-5 minutes or until heated through and spinach is wilted. Top each serving with sour cream. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Brown Rice Mulligatawny in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p24
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Brown Rice Mulligatawny
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review