Brown Rice Lentil Salad Recipe
"My family isn't always crazy about trying new recipes," DeAnn Howard writes from Lisbon, Iowa. "The first time I served this salad, they took tiny helpings just to appease me. But the unanimous verdict was 'It tastes great!'"
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the rice, water and bouillon to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the rice, lentils, tomato, onions and parsley. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over rice mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 7 servings.
1/2 cup equals 111 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 369 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 lean meat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC