- 1-1/3 cups instant brown rice
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/4 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a nonstick skillet, saute rice in half of the butter until golden brown; transfer to a large bowl. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery and onion in remaining butter until tender; add to rice. Stir in the water, pecans, salt, marjoram, pepper, sage and thyme.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Brown Rice Hot Dish in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p60
Reviews for Brown Rice Hot Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2011
"I had to omit the mushrooms and pecans due to picky people in who live here, but it still was very good. The pecans would make it better, though! I would make it again."