A simple rice salad in a café inspired thoughts of adding Indian spices and chutney to this dish. To fire things up, mix in a small amount of hot chili oil, tasting carefully as you go. —Brooke Martin, Greenfield, Minnesota
- 8 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped if desired
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 cup salted cashews
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the chutney, oil, vinegar, curry powder, salt and garam masala. Pour over rice mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate for several hours.
- Just before serving, add spinach and apple; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cashews. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Brown Rice Chutney Salad in Taste of Home February/March 2012, p57
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Brown Rice Chutney Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review