Brown Rice Chutney Salad Recipe
- 8 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped if desired
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 cup salted cashews
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the chutney, oil, vinegar, curry powder, salt and garam masala. Pour over rice mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate for several hours.
- Just before serving, add spinach and apple; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cashews. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Brown Rice Chutney Salad
Sort By :
"Easy to make and great for a summer side dish!"
"I have made this delicious salad several times since it appeared in the magazine. My whole family loves it! The first time I made it, I only made half a recipe, and my husband and father-in-law ate ALL the leftovers before I got any. Needless to say, I make the entire 8 cups of rice now. I like it with a few drops of hot sauce, like Siracha."
"I needed a Pot Luck summer dish & this was PERFECT! It was completely gone. Several people asked me to make it again & bring the recipe to share. My husband asked me to make it again for home so I cut the rice,fruit & veggies in half but not the sauce. I have made it several times now but substituted the cranberries with other dried fruits like cherries, raisins, and even pineapple once. This recipe is great."
"I have been eating this salad non-stop since I made it. It is so delicious. It's also really pretty. My husband does the South Beach diet, and so this dish is perfect with its whole grain rice, veggies and nuts. I cut the spinach into thin ribbons and stirred it into the salad,which I prefer to whole leaves. I also used pineapple chutney b/c I couldn't find mango chutney in the store, and it tastes great. I also used red onion instead of green. I don't think I used 8 cups of rice, though. I like a lot of sauce/dressing and add ins and was concerned the rice would overpower the dish. So I used maybe even half of what is called for here. The mixture of sweet and heat plus the crunch of the nuts is really wonderful. Don't leave out any ingredient. They all mix together to make a fabulous dish. I also like the fact that it's different and not the same-old/same-old. I will definitely bring this to picnics all summer."