Brown Rice Casserole Recipe
As a new bride, I knew how to make scrambled eggs and bran muffins. Unfortunately, you can only live on love for so long. My dear husband held his tongue and ate the many flops that come with being a beginning cook. Many years later, I'm secure in the kitchen, and my family enjoys my cooking. This hearty dish even passes the test for teenage boys.—Glenda Schwartz, Morden, Manitoba
- 8 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup dry split peas
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water, rice and peas to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery, carrots and onion in oil until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Combine the vegetables, rice mixture, tomatoes and seasonings.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 273 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 284 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC