Brown Rice and Vegetables Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cubed
- 2 medium apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1. Place rice in a greased 4- or 5-qt slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the squash, apples, sweet potato, onion, salt and pepper; add to slow cooker. Pour broth over vegetables.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in raisins and tarragon. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 148 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 303 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Brown Rice and Vegetables
"I was excited to try this recipe. I like everything in it. I followed the recipe exactly. It was awful. The rice never cooked. Reread the recipe several times and I am sure I did what it said. Will not try to make it again."