Brown Rice and Vegetables Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cubed
- 2 medium apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1. Place rice in a greased 4- or 5-qt slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the squash, apples, sweet potato, onion, salt and pepper; add to slow cooker. Pour broth over vegetables.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in raisins and tarragon. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup: 148 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 303mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Brown Rice and Vegetables
"I was excited to try this recipe. I like everything in it. I followed the recipe exactly. It was awful. The rice never cooked. Reread the recipe several times and I am sure I did what it said. Will not try to make it again."