Brown Rice and Vegetables
This filling rice dish, full of big chunks of butternut squash and sweet potatoes, is a good combination of sweet and savory flavors.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cubed
- 2 medium apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Place rice in a greased 4- or 5-qt slow cooker. In a large bowl,
- combine the squash, apples, sweet potato, onion, salt and pepper;
- add to slow cooker. Pour broth over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in raisins and tarragon. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 148 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 303 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g protein.