This filling rice dish, full of big chunks of butternut squash and sweet potatoes, is a good combination of sweet and savory flavors.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 19 Side Dishes Made in a 13x9 Pan
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cubed
- 2 medium apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Place rice in a greased 4- or 5-qt slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the squash, apples, sweet potato, onion, salt and pepper; add to slow cooker. Pour broth over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in raisins and tarragon. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Brown Rice and Vegetables in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2011, p59
Reviews for Brown Rice and Vegetables
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 23, 2013
"I was excited to try this recipe. I like everything in it. I followed the recipe exactly. It was awful. The rice never cooked. Reread the recipe several times and I am sure I did what it said. Will not try to make it again."