Brown Rice 'n' Apple Stuffed Turkey Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped tart apple
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the broth, 1/3 cup apple juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and raisins. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook celery and onion in butter for 2 minutes. Add apple; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine the rice mixture, apple mixture, poultry seasoning, pepper and remaining apple juice and salt.
- 3. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 4. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes. Remove stuffing and carve turkey, discarding skin. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 6 servings with leftovers.
One serving (3 ounces cooked turkey with 3/4 cup stuffing, calculated without gravy) equals 286 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 443 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer