- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped tart apple
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- In a saucepan, combine the broth, 1/3 cup apple juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and raisins. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook celery and onion in butter for 2 minutes. Add apple; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine the rice mixture, apple mixture, poultry seasoning, pepper and remaining apple juice and salt.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes. Remove stuffing and carve turkey, discarding skin. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 6 servings with leftovers.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Brown Rice 'n' Apple Stuffed Turkey
Sort By :
As this has become a family staple, I guess I should review it.
I found this recipe because we live gluten free, and have a strong bias towards brown over white rice.
The recipe was very easy to make. My whole family likes it, including the fussy kids. What better recommendation is there than that.
Of note, the stuffing really expands during cooking. The first couple of times it blew the bird open and poured out -- kinda fun. I just put a 15 pound turkey into the oven, and it was well stuffed with a single recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Apple Stuffing >
- Apple Turkey >
- Baked Turkey >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >
- Side Dish Recipes >