Brown Bear Cake
Homemade chocolate frosting dresses up a boxed cake mix in this cute cake from our Test Kitchen home economists.
18-20 ServingsPrep: 1-1/2 hours Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 packages chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 4 ounces PHILADELPHIA® Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 cups flaked coconut, divided
- Brown gel food coloring
- 5 chocolate-covered peppermint patties
- 16 brown milk chocolate M&M's
- 2 dark chocolate kisses
- 5 pieces red shoestring licorice
- Prepare cake mixes according to package directions. Pour 3 cups
- batter into a greased and floured 2-qt. round baking dish. Pour
- 1-1/2 cups batter into a greased and floured 1-qt. ovenproof bowl.
- Using remaining batter, fill six greased jumbo muffin cups and four
- greased regular muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes and cakes for 40-45 minutes at
- 350° or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool cupcakes for 5 minutes and cakes for 10 minutes before
- removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.