Brown and Wild Rice Medley
“I got the idea for this dish at a Mongolian restaurant here in Bogota. It's a versatile recipe as you can add any vegetable or amount of vegetables you want.” Sharon Fleming - Bogota, Colombia
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 package (6.7 ounces) mushroom-flavored brown and wild rice mix
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, cook rice mix according to package directions,
- omitting butter.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and green beans
- in oil for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, carrots and pepper; saute
- 3-5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Add vegetables
- and almonds to cooked rice; stir until blended. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 135 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.