Broiled Vegetable Sandwiches Recipe
- 6 slices peeled eggplant (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/3 cup sliced zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 slices red onion (1/4 inch thick)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 hard rolls, split and toasted
- 5 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 2 fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini and onion. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Add Italian seasoning and cayenne; toss to coat.
- 2. If broiling the vegetables, arrange on a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. If grilling the vegetables, transfer to a grill wok or basket. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat or grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until tender and lightly browned.
- 3. Spread roll bottoms with mayonnaise; layer with the basil, spinach, red peppers, tomato and jalapeno. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with vegetables; replace roll tops. Yield: 2 servings.
1 sandwich equals 290 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 869 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.