Broiled Vegetable Sandwiches Recipe
- 6 slices peeled eggplant (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/3 cup sliced zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 slices red onion (1/4 inch thick)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 hard rolls, split and toasted
- 5 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 2 fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini and onion. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Add Italian seasoning and cayenne; toss to coat.
- 2. If broiling the vegetables, arrange on a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. If grilling the vegetables, transfer to a grill wok or basket. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat or grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until tender and lightly browned.
- 3. Spread roll bottoms with mayonnaise; layer with the basil, spinach, red peppers, tomato and jalapeno. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with vegetables; replace roll tops. Yield: 2 servings.
1 sandwich equals 290 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 869 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Broiled Vegetable Sandwiches
"Please overlook the ridiculous rating by claylady01, who didn't even try the recipe. Try the recipe, then rate it, not the other way around."
"I added more jalapenos, we just like more. Great recipe! With fresh veggies I need a new variation. I ate it as a sandwich, hubby is not big on carbs so he ate his plain but loved it also."
"People, why are you rating a recipe you haven't tried? Stop doing that please."
"I have made similiar but this sounds so good. I am looking forward to making this. If I know me, I will be definately making this a lot. Thanks for the recipe!"
"I can't wait to make this. It sounds amazing. I am always looking for things to grill rather than using the oven. I have made something similar but I have never thought to use all of those vegetables."
"this sounds awful and I won't try it but I do love vege's but to make a sandwich from them,sorry no can do!!I will eat my vege's like I always do."