Tender and crispy vegetables shine in this palate-pleasing sandwich recipe. Served on a warm toasted bun with fresh basil, mayonnaise and a dash of jalapeno pepper, these veggies never had it so good! —Jane Jackson, Randolph, Iowa
- 6 slices peeled eggplant (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/3 cup sliced zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 slices red onion (1/4 inch thick)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 hard rolls, split and toasted
- 5 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 2 fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini and onion. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Add Italian seasoning and cayenne; toss to coat.
- If broiling the vegetables, arrange on a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. If grilling the vegetables, transfer to a grill wok or basket. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat or grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until tender and lightly browned.
- Spread roll bottoms with mayonnaise; layer with the basil, spinach, red peppers, tomato and jalapeno. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with vegetables; replace roll tops. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Broiled Vegetable Sandwiches in Light & Tasty June/July 2007, p46
Reviews for Broiled Vegetable Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review