Broiled Tomato-Mozzarella Dip Recipe
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) fresh mozzarella cheese pearls, drained
- Toasted sliced Italian bread
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, basil, fennel, oregano, garlic, sugar, pepper flakes and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Uncover and cook 10-15 minutes longer or until thickened. Transfer mixture to a 10-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Serve with toasted bread. Yield: 5 cups.
1/4 cup: 97 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Broiled Tomato-Mozzarella Dip
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.