- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) fresh mozzarella cheese pearls, drained
- Toasted sliced Italian bread
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, basil, fennel, oregano, garlic, sugar, pepper flakes and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 10-15 minutes longer or until thickened. Transfer mixture to a 10-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Serve with toasted bread. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Broiled Tomato-Mozzarella Dip in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p33
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Broiled Tomato-Mozzarella Dip
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review