Broiled Sirloin Steaks
“A butcher gave me great advice on cooking different types of meat," writes Karol Chandler-Ezell of Nacogdoches, Texas. "Marinating and broiling works really well on very lean cuts like this.” Karol suggests letting the steaks rest for a couple of minutes before serving to preserve moistness.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 beef top sirloin steaks (5 ounces each)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; rub over both
- sides of steaks.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 7 minutes. Turn steaks; top with
- mushrooms. Broil 7-8 minutes longer or until meat reaches desired
- doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°;
- medium, 160°; well-done, 170°) and mushrooms are tender.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 steak with 3 tablespoons mushrooms equals 187 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 4 lean meat.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a