Broiled Sausage Sandwiches
"We've spiced up these open-faced sandwiches by adding jalapenos or extra cayenne from time to time," shares Patricia Inman of Lichfield, Minnesota. "I've even spread the sausage mixture on a loaf of French bread for a potluck dinner. It was devoured in a hurry," she adds.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian or pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until the
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, salsa and
- cayenne if desired; cook and stir, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Place
- buns, cut side up, on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 4 in. from the
- heat until lightly toasted.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons sausage mixture over each bun half.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is
- melted and lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 283 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 790 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.